Members Present:       The following Directors were present and acting:

  • Ron Krall, President
  • Gary Osteen
  • Brock Knez
  • Jodi Lightfoot (absent)
  • Dusty Atkinson

District Manager:

  • Kasey O’Halloran


  • Mary Andre, CDC Engineering


Call to Order:                 The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Timbers Water & Sanitation District was called to order by President Ron Krall on October 8, 2018 at 5:36 pm, noting a quorum was present.


Minutes:                           The Board reviewed the regular meeting minutes from September. Upon motion duly made by Brock and seconded by Gary, it was

RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.


Financials:                      The Board reviewed the financial statements for September 2018. Upon motion duly made by Ron and seconded by Brock, it was

RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.


Invoices:                           Invoices for September 2018 were reviewed.  Upon motion duly made by Ron and seconded by Gary and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve payment of the open invoices.


Transfer of funds from TWSD to TWSWA Enterprise:

Kasey requested a $5000 transfer to cover the invoices due. Ron moved to approve the transfer and Gary seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously.

District Manager Update:

Kasey relayed that both John and Tim are doing well and both Water and Waste Water plants are up and running fine.

Old Business:                 2019 Budget – Ron explained to the board that we are required to present a budget in October by law. Ron took a different approach this year. He took the September year-end actuals and used those numbers to create the proposed budget for 2019. Ron presented the Enterprise budget. There were no objections to his projections and calculations. Next, he presented the District Budget.  Ron explained that he increased the budget from 2018 in the Contract Labor category, Legal category and the Water Purchase category.  Ron did not include any budget for Engineering for any new water projects in the General category. The Board agreed it might be best to take some time before starting new projects. The loan categories will remain the same except we will need to add in the new SRF Loan payment information. The miscellaneous category is used for Reserves. Ron and Gary like the idea of using the reserves as a safeguard and would like to leave it in. Dusty would like to hear how much the dues will go up before voicing his opinion. The WWTF category is a combination of the general operations and the completion of the new plant. Contract Labor has gone up in anticipation that John Fitzgerald will continue his normal work as well as his construction contact work. Engineering money was left in the budget although Ron anticipates the Grants and Loans we receive should cover the entire cost of engineering. Ron increased legal knowing we will require legal review through the completion of the construction project in 2019. Going through the entirety of the budget Ron pro[posed, he believes we can leave fees as they have been for 2018.  Ron stated he felt very comfortable with this budget and the goal of getting the WWTF completed in 2019. Ron suggested as we go through the next few months of the year, if we see any of the budgeted expenses decline, we can re-evaluate the service fees.  Kasey and Ron will need to in depth review the expenses before December. We will review more in November as well.

Zirkel Wireless Contract – Melinda was not in attendance. Ron stated Melinda and Alan Belvo have had an exchange about the terms of the contract. Melinda asked Alan to write up a change to the contract however we are unsure of the status now. Dusty and Gary asked about the attorney fees for this project and we believe Zirkel will cover all those fees.

                                             November Election – Kasey stated the TABOR mailing has gone out to all the residents. Ron is curious if the Board Members should reach out to the public to push the measure forward. He believes we can rely on the pro statement within the TABOR mailing to explain the situation.

                                             Sewer Project Update – Mary stated they are still waiting on Duckels to get the updated insurance letter they have been required to get from the Board’s legal counsel. Mary suggested the Board send them an email requesting that insurance letter immediately. Duckels would like to start work later this week on some repairs and manhole repairs and replacement next week. Kasey will call Diane about getting the insurance letter immediately. Manhole 17.1, in Dennis Martin’s driveway, has been located. The manhole was covered by a metal sheet, not a metal lid. Duckels has videoed that line and found some holes. The manhole itself is in good shape so does not have to be replaced. Mary stated that they are thinking they will perform an internal spot repair at the break. This will be the least disruptive for Mr. Martin’s driveway and the entire area.  Ron agreed with Mary’s approach on this new discovery.

John Fitzgerald is on-call on Monday and Friday and Tim Maxwell is on-call on Tuesday-Thursday. The job meetings will begin once work has commenced. By the end of this week, Duckels was hoping to start on the 20 foot pipe repairs and then within two weeks starting the manhole replacements.

DOLA Grant Amendment – DOLA amendment has been received. Mary would like to review the contract further and will get the invoices to us soon.

Pond Site Change Status- Tammy created a diagram updating the layout of the WWTP with the new Johannsen easement. Tammy has shifted the entire plant closer to the mountain meaning it encroaches much less on the pond, requiring less backfill as well. Ron agreed he liked the layout. Mary stated that it allows for use of fill materials on site.

                                             Public Meeting for November – Mary stated the reports needed for the public meeting are not available yet thus the November meeting will not work. She suggested having another meeting in late November or moving it to the December meeting. Ron believes we should move the Public Meeting to December 10th.

Project Timeline – Mary stated everything is on track, however, CDC needs to move the PEL and PNA amendment to the top of their list.  CDC has all the sub consultants on board. Jacobs will be able to get the final design completed within 60 days. Mary believes we are still on track to submit by January 15th for the SRF funding and final design submittal. This is a very aggressive schedule which will require CDPHE to be responsive. Ron would like to get the January 15th submittal if at all possible.  That puts bidding in February, funds would come through in March, and award the bid early in the year. This would allow for the new WWTP to be online by end of 2019 meeting the CDPHE’s requirements.

CDC Contract – Mary needs more time to review the contract now that the DOLA Amendment has come through.

New Business:               Johannsen Easement – Melinda has sent the easement documents to the Johannsen’s and the easement should be received back to us by this week. Ron stated that the boundaries of the easement will now create a nice buffer for the WWTP. Ron stated that the Johannsen’s were very amenable and easy to work with. Kasey and Ron are to work on adjusting the easement land out of the sanitation taxing district.


With business concluded and upon motion duly and unanimously approved, it was

RESOLVED to adjourn the regular meeting the Timbers Water & Sanitation District Board of Directors at 6:57 pm, this 8th day of October 2018.


Respectfully submitted,

Kasey O’Halloran

District Manager

Timbers Water and Sanitation District