Members Present: The following Directors were present and acting:
- Ron Krall, President
- Gary Osteen
- Brock Knez
- Jodi Lightfoot
- Dusty Atkinson (absent)
- Kasey O’Halloran
- Mary Andre, CDC Engineering
Call to Order: The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Timbers Water & Sanitation District was called to order by President Ron Krall on November 19, 2018 at 5:37 pm, noting a quorum was present.
Minutes: The Board reviewed the regular meeting minutes from October. Upon motion duly made by Gary and seconded by Brock, it was
RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.
Financials: The Board reviewed the financial statements for October 2018. Upon motion duly made by Gary and seconded by Ron, it was
RESOLVED to approve the financial statements.
Invoices: Invoices for October 2018 were reviewed. Ron discussed with the Board that the Zirkel Invoices from CDC are charged to Timbers. Ron would like to hold off on the payment of the invoices until a contract is in place with Zirkel Wireless. If we can get a contract in place, we can pay the invoice and get it reimbursed from Zirkel. Brock questioned the additional hours spent by Tim Maxwell from CDC doing ‘construction observation’. Mary stated that the Manhole in Dennis Martin’s driveway was located in a difficult position so it took quite a bit of time to figure out what the best route would be. Tim also has a daily log that he fills out that states everything he has done well at the job site. Mary said she can make those details available. Upon motion duly made by Ron and seconded by Jodi and unanimously, it was
RESOLVED to approve payment of the open invoices.
Transfer of funds from TWSD to TWSWA Enterprise:
Kasey requested a $5000 transfer to cover the invoices due. Ron moved to approve the transfer and Gary seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously.
District Manager Update:
Kasey stated that the WWTF and Water Treatment Plant are working and running fine. John encountered a dead elk in front of the WWTF last week. John has been working closely with Duckels on the last two manholes that need completed this fall. John believes they will finish this week and if weather does not allow, they will clean up and complete their project in the spring.
Old Business: 2019 Budget – Ron stated that he and Kasey will get together to do the calculations on the Mill Levy’s and the fees. We will come together in December to present that budget. If there are any items that the Board members would like explained in detail, they can ask Kasey for details prior to the December meeting and she will gather the details.
Zirkel Wireless Contract – Zirkel would like to put in a new cabinet and set of batteries on a new slab. In addition, they would like to put up a new antenna using the water tank to support that antenna. We were not expecting this to be on the top of the tank but when specs were sent, we learned that this would be a much larger antenna then would be safe for that attachment. Now, Alan and Mary have been working at finding a location for the battery box and mounting something on the side of the tank that would meet their needs. The alternative would be them constructing their own tower which they don’t want to do. The battery cabinet will be located near the valve vault which is out of the Districts’ way but readily accessible for Zirkel. It will be a 3 ft. x 4 ft. x 7 ft. tall and right next to it YVEA will put a meter. The current line is just an exposed wire running across the land. The voltage drops low when the temperature gets low. Zirkel and YVEA will work together to get the meter installed. Ron believes that installing the battery cabinet and meter will be straightforward but installing the antenna on the tank is still to be worked out. Mary stated that Zirkel will get a professional engineer to work up the options and she believes it should work well. It will be a strong, powerful magnet that will attach to the outside of the water tank that will hold the antenna on. Gary asked if there is any concern with the radio frequency. Zirkel knows what frequency Timbers is on and it will be protected and isolated. Kasey is to get with Melinda to firm up the contract – assuring that Zirkel pays for the legal and engineering fees, any change to the electrical is paid for by Zirkel, and insurance is adequate to cover Timbers.
The Board asked if there is anything that can be done to stop people from climbing up on the Water Tank. Gary suggested signage or a trail cam that photographs trespassers. Kasey is to order two signs, Tim is to put up a barrier and Ron can install a camera. Signs to read no trespassing and that the space is under video surveillance. Gary suggested speaking to the Sheriff’s department to get a posting from them that wards off trespassers.
November Election – The ballot measure did pass. Ron explained his pleasure at the amount of people who voted.
Sewer Project Update – Phase I – Six manholes have been installed with pipe in between. There are two manholes that need spot repaired still. The holdup involved the American Steel Act that delayed getting the appropriate part. The MH in the road that needs repaired will be delayed all together until the Spring but there are two manholes that still need repair, one in Mike Lomas’ driveway and an additional one by the WTP. The MH near the water treatment plant is full of water. CDC looked at the video to see what the situation was and see that it is blocked partially. Mary would like to know what to do with this one – she said that Duckels can cut into and replace the pipe but the sustainable fix would be putting a new MH in that has a grade that allows the manhole to slope. She suggested covering it up right now and delaying until the WWTP work is done. She also suggested delaying Mike Lomas’ with the final three in the spring. Ron and the Board agreed that was the best action to take. Mary stated Duckels are close to submitting their first pay request. Ron stated that the Board will review it via email and approve for payment then. There will be one more pay request for the month of November and then the final invoice in the spring with the last manholes getting completed. Mary stated they are on budget except for the T&M used to locate MH 17.1 but that amount was the same amount as the contingency we factored into the Budget in the beginning. Once CDC has reviewed the pay request, they will forward to the Board for approval and payment.
Phase II – Mary stated that contract with Jacobs has been established. She stated Tammy has done a lot of good work on the initial site layout. Jacobs is getting started on the Final Design and had committed to completion by January 15th. Tammy has finished the EA letters, but has held off sending them until the Dam finds some resolution. Geotech work is finished up this week as NWCC has been very busy. The Survey has been completed. Kelly Coifer is completing the Biological Assessment. Mary’s largest to do item is the Alternative Assessment that is required. She believes that because of the Dam, we will have a stronger case against needing to exclude the additional denitrification system. There will need to be a public meeting in January. Jacobs will be completing the PDR before January. Routt County Planning will need the Location and Extent submittal. Melinda will need to get started on it. Jodi asked for a schedule breakdown and Mary stated we will need to apply for the DOLA grant on Dec 3rd. Kasey and Mary will need to get this done immediately.
New Business: Resolution approving the additional $50,000 D&E Principal Forgiveness Loan– Ron explained the Loan reasoning and situation to the Board. Ron moved to appoint Jodi as acting secretary for this meeting, Gary seconded and the motion passed. We are eligible for this Loan/Grant because the State changed their terms right after our last application. The State granted us the additional money. Ron made a motion to approve Resolution 2018-04 entering into agreement with the State Colorado to take on an additional $50,000 in Design and Engineering principal forgiveness loan. Jodi seconded the motion and the motion passed unanimously. Jodi will need to be a signor on the loan and needs the documents by the last week of November as she will be out of town. Kasey will get with Beth to confirm the closing date.
Dam – Kelly Coifer was completing his study and searched to see if the Dam was registered with Colorado Resources. It is not and upon notification of that to the Timbers Board, CDC pursued it further. It should be a jurisdictional dam but since its construction predates the regulations, it will be easier to get registered. It was built in the early 70’s sometime but no documents can confirm it. Any dam that is greater than 10 feet in height is required to be a jurisdictional dam. It will then have regular inspections and have to meet the jurisdictional dam standards. The Timbers dam is measuring at 22 feet in jurisdictional height. Mary stated that the next step is to engage a dam safety engineer to do an analysis to determine our options. Options could be enlarging the spillway which will require removing vegetation. Any option Timber’s chooses will create a cost. There is a fiber optic line under the road and Melinda is researching if anyone has an easement on that line. Mary and Ron stated that the ideal way to do this is to bore holes through the damn thus lowering the dam to a non-jurisdictional height. Ron stated that we either have to accept it as a jurisdictional dam and go through the process or breach the dam but either have issues associated with it. Ron stated this will not stop us from going forward on the WWTP; however, we do need to decide what to do with this Dam. We will need to apply for additional funding to hire a hydrologist/dam safety engineer and with their scope of work and fee schedule we can apply for funding to do a study. Once the study is completed, we can use that to decide what to do. We will then need to find more money to go forward with the improvements. CDC has not brought this up to CDPHE as it might delay the site application. Jodi asked what the price could be and Mary and Ron stated it is unknown and could be up to $50,000. One of the biggest issues will be the fiber optic line. Jodi stated the easiest option would be to just move it up to code and do what we have to do to get it registered. Ron stated that we wait until after the WWTF is bid out to hire an engineer to price it out to give us all our options.
With business concluded and upon motion duly and unanimously approved, it was
RESOLVED to adjourn the regular meeting the Timbers Water & Sanitation District Board of Directors at 7:49 pm, this 19th day of November 2018.
Timbers Water and Sanitation District