Members Present:      The following Directors were present and acting:

  • Ron Krall, President
  • Gary Osteen, Vice President
  • Brock Knez
  • Ash Lesniak
  • Dusty Atkinson (absent)

Assistant District Manager:

  • Kasey O’Halloran

District Manager:

  • Jodi Lightfoot


  • Mary Andre, CDC Engineering
  • Mike Beurskens with CDC Engineering
  • Melinda Sherman, Sharp, Steinke, Sherman & Engle


Call to Order:                 The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Timbers Water & Sanitation District was called to order by President Ron Krall on September 11, 2017 at 5:53 pm, noting a quorum was present.


Minutes:                            The Board reviewed the regular meeting minutes of the August, 2017 meeting. Upon motion duly made by Brock and seconded by Ash and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.


Financials:                       The August 2017 financial statements were reviewed.  Upon motion duly made by Ash and seconded by Brock and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve the financials.


Invoices:                           Invoices for August 2017 were reviewed. Jodi said not to pay Waste Management invoices as she will call them. We are still getting billed for a dumpster that was already removed. CDC invoices are now approved from last month. Upon motion duly made by Ash and seconded by Gary and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve payment of the open invoices.


Transfer of funds from TWSD to TWSWA Enterprise:

None needed.

Old Business:                

Water Tank Project: Timbers is online with the permanent tank. The temporary tank has two options so far – GEI has offered to pay 20% of the materials cost back to Timbers but Timbers will have to ship it to them at their cost. It will be too expensive to return to them so this is not an option. The second option is for Catamount to buy it from the Board. Jodi is trying to get the cost of the liner so she can give Catamount the cost of the temporary tank to buy it back. Ash has asked that Jodi give an update to Catamount so that we don’t lose their interest. (ACTION)



Wastewater Treatment Plant:

System Design: Treatment Plant and Collection System: After last meeting, there was a circulation of the costs of the two options. The costs were coming in very close with the Advantex at $80,000 more then the SBR and offering significant advantages of the overall design, increased capacity, and ease of operation. The Board has decided to go forward with the Advantex option sized at 20,000 gallons per day.  As for the collection system, Mike proposes using a system called CIPP which is basically running a hose thru the pipe that contains resin. If we do this, it will give a life expectancy of 50 years and strength of PVC pipe. Mike has spoken with Action Drain Services on the phone explaining what would need to be done and has asked for a quote. Mike said the range is $6000-$7000 for them to video 2500 linear feet. If the Board agrees tonight, a real quote can be created by Action Drain Services. Ron moved to have Action Services out as soon as possible and Gary seconded the motion. Jodi and Ash will monitor the contract and amount so it doesn’t exceed $6000.


Surveys – The Board received bids from 4 companies on the survey that needs done. Mike summarized why Timbers wants this data and put it out to the four previous surveyors. Whelan Land Surveyors and Landmark returned the best and most creative responses. Jodi and Mike interviewed the firms today. Whelan was about $11,000 and Landmark was closer to $25,000 (however they had a much more comprehensive approach). Jodi and Mike challenged Landmark to get the price down some. The Board confirmed they want Whelan to do all four parts.


Land Acquisition – The Board needs letters of intent from both Galvin and Krall’s before the application can be submitted at the end of the month. Jodi is going to meet with Melinda tomorrow to draft the letter and then get the letter to the Kralls and Galvin to sign. (ACTION) The next step is to acquire the rights to use the property for which we will need a survey.


Biological & Environmental Assessments are underway.


Public Notices – a small sized billboard needs to be posted stating that this site will be the site of the Sanitation system. It will be placed at the Timbers Preserve Property gate. (ACTION)


Project Schedule – Mary created a schedule for all parties involved.


Engineering Contracts – Mary created a one page breakdown of the expected costs of the different design phases, the additional costs the Board could incur, etc. She provided it to the Board for their review and approval.  Ron has asked for discussion amongst the board and an in-depth review of the proposal this week. Then he wants final approval via email by end of the week.


SRF Design and Engineering Funding – Jodi and Kasey will use invoices all moving forward for Grant reimbursement claims. There is no need to go back to get the invoices for claim.


Zirkel Wireless Contract:

Melinda spoke with Alan and he will send a response to her contract to her by Friday of this week.


Past due fees:                 Kasey is to send a statement to Mike Woolverton for his second quarter overdue fees. In October the Board will review all overdue fees and decide what to do about it. (Action)


New Business

                                                Wastewater Compliance advisory warning letter – Ron read it to the board and Mary explained what we exceeded the limits by. A letter needs to be written to explain the situation. Jodi will talk to John about sending a letter and the self-monitoring data to CDPHE.  John can talk to Mary if he wants about the letter content. (ACTION)


2018 Budget will have to be presented at the next Board meeting. Ron would like to start with a budget that is the same fees and property tax levels as 2017 and see where it takes us. He also would like to put in the initial budget the fire hydrants and water meters to start with.  Ash would like to add in to the 2018 Budget a fire mitigation plan to protect the property.  Ron was asked if the District would be interested in investing money into road base and road grading. Tim doesn’t believe it will be necessary now.


Board Succession- Dusty’s term expires in 2018, Brock’s term goes to 2020, Gary’s term goes until 2020, Ash and Ron have terms until 2018. In the New Year, we will need to inform the district members that there are 3 openings, if there are no contestants the incumbent will automatically win. Ron has stated that he does not wish to run again. He wishes for the Board to start work on power and responsibility transition.


With business concluded and upon motion duly and unanimously approved, it was

RESOLVED to adjourn the regular meeting the Timbers Water & Sanitation District Board of Directors at 8:44 pm, this 11th day of September 2017.


Respectfully submitted,

Kasey O’Halloran

Assistant District Manager

Timbers Water and Sanitation District