Members Present:      The following Directors were present and acting:

  • Ron Krall, President
  • Gary Osteen, Vice President
  • Brock Knez (absent)
  • Ash Lesniak
  • Dusty Atkinson (absent)

Assistant District Manager:

  • Kasey O’Halloran

District Manager:

  • Jodi Lightfoot


  • Mary Andre, CDC Engineering
  • Melinda Sherman, Sharp, Steinke, Sherman & Engle
  • Ellen Dalton


Call to Order:                 The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Timbers Water & Sanitation District was called to order by President Ron Krall on May 8, 2017 at 5:44 pm, noting a quorum was present.


Minutes:                            The Board reviewed the regular meeting minutes of the April, 2017 meeting. Upon motion duly made by Gary, seconded by Ash and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.


Financials:                       The April 2017 financial statements were reviewed.  Upon motion duly made by Gary, seconded by Ash and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve the financials.


Invoices:                           Invoices for April 2017 were reviewed.  Upon motion duly made by Ron, seconded by Gary and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve payment of the open invoices.


Transfer of funds from TWSD to TWSWA Enterprise:



Old Business:                 Ellen Dalton was presented with a plaque and gift as a thank you from the Board of Directors for her 13 years of service. Ron recognized Ellen’s length of time worked and her invaluable service.


Wastewater Treatment Plant:

Grant Status – The Board was awarded a $250,000 Design and Engineering (D&E) grant. The Board will use part of this grant as the $175,000 match that is required for the DOLA Grant.   The D&E grant allows for reimbursement of backdated invoices. Mary has suggested the board locate $75,000 in backdated invoices and use the remaining $175,000 as a match for the DOLA grant. Jodi will take over collecting the invoices and Kasey will submit for reimbursement once completed. (Action – Jodi and Kasey)


CH2MHill Engineering Analysis of Options for Wastewater Treatment Plant –Mary said the relationship is going really well with CH2MHill but timing has been behind where she wishes they would be. Delays are due to vendor responses. CDC should receive final draft and approve it by the last week of May. With the draft, CDC hopes to finalize the PNA amendment and submit by May 31. CH2MHill is about a week or two behind at this point.


Pat Nelson is the regulatory specialist who has prepared a draft memorandum arguing for less stringent PELs than were issued by CDPHE. CH2MHill went deep into the technical side and have a better understanding of the Timber’s needs. Pat is recommending that CDC submit a proposal to CDPHE, give them the alternative analysis and recommend what limit seems feasible for the Timber’s situation.  From there, Timbers should design the plant around the results the State provides.


If Timbers tries for less stringent limits now, Mary believes that by virtue of the fact that it was accepted once it should be continually accepted as we keep applying for new discharge permits over the years. If there is something new that comes along or puts this into question – Timbers can again dispute it. Mary believes it has a lot more staying power then she previously believed.


Mary outlined the technical solutions and their costs that CH2MHill had come up with thus far. On Friday she received a cost estimate of $2.1 million for the favored solution but believed that number to be on the high end due to selecting the vendors with the highest quotes.  CH2MHill seems to estimate project totals differently then the way CDC has approached it for the Timbers in the past.  CH2MHill is trying to get further answers from vendors before solidifying the cost analysis. Capital costs will be the same whether we are meeting 5.3 or 10 TIN limit. The difference will be in the operations costs. It is estimated that a full time operator would be needed to maintain an SBR at the upper or lower site if we have to meet the more stringent limit. So it is within the technology to meet the limit but the responsibility will lie with the operator.  So the argument Timbers should make to CDPHE is that it doesn’t make since to have a full time operator for such a small district.


Ron would like to see a true maintenance cost for each option. Timbers need to know the annual cost to keep the plant operating.


Mary believes CH2MHill will be finished with their analysis for the June meeting. Mary suggested having a conference call or special meeting with CH2MHill once the report is finished. Ron would like CDC to review prior to Board spending time meeting with CH2MHill. Mary has been asked to push CH2MHill to complete sooner due to the delays they have encountered. (ACTION – Mary)


Discharge Permit Modification –Mary has put in two calls on it recently and hasn’t received a response. Jodi will take over the follow up on this item. (ACTION – Jodi)


Mechanisms of Paying for Indebtedness for WWTF – The advice of counsel is that all members of the District must be taxed equally for repayment of bonded indebtedness, even if members don’t receive the service the indebtedness funds. This can be a benefit to the Timber’s Preserve owners in that they have access to sewer should they ever need it. Melinda will continue to research other options but believes it is in Timbers best interest to tax equally.


USDA Funding Options – Tabled



Water Tank Project:

Temporary Tank Pad – GEI works has approved the gravel pad with the agreement that Timbers will supply the concrete pavers. Native will assure that the pad is level. GEI is ready to ship once payment is received. Jodi would like to pay for the tank and not the install fee until it is actually installed.  She is waiting for the approval on that. She is working with Native to give her a date when they can help unload and install so she can work with GEI on delivery.  Pittsburg Tank will be available in mid to late June.


Ron inquired about fencing to protect the temporary tank until Pittsburg Tank completes their work. Jodi will check with Native to see if this is a possibility. Jodi needs a plumber to fix a hydrant before the tank arrives.


Ron would also like to know if there is any potential interruption in water service and if so, we need to report to the homeowners. (ACTION – Jodi)


Zirkel Wireless enclosure:

Melinda did a large amount of research to find competitive information on rent amounts. She was able to find one comparable for a Verizon tower.  The current rent for this tower is $10,000 a year.  Ron proposes we ask for $1,000 a month in rent to start the conversation. Ron and Melinda plan to configure the terms and conditions and then Melinda will enter into negotiations for a new Zirkel contact. Zirkel services the entire South Valley, so the board asked that it is lightly handled so internet is not removed from that location.  Ron will communicate to Zirkel that this process must be completed quickly so the Zirkel concrete pad can get into the construction schedule. (Action – Ron and Melinda)


Past due fees:                 Jodi and Melinda have worked up a letter and plan on how to handle Mike Woolverton’s overdue fees. They plan to have Mike pay $10,361 in availability of service fees, penalty/legal fees, and interest (this amount includes a $1,623.50 per lot credit). This does not include 2017 interest fees. He will be asked to pay a portion of the amount due and sign an acceptance waiver by May 31 and the remaining balance will be due June 30 2017.  Ron moved approval of the letter, Ash seconded it, and the motion was approved.


Melinda is to send out a letter to Galvin and update the lien on file.  (ACTION-Melinda)


New Business                Jodi is to follow up with Dusty on three un-excused absences and approach Gary Theander about an interest in an open board seat. (Action – Jodi)


John has had to work on the aerators twice recently. He has also asked for $180 more a month due to the additional monitoring based on the new discharge permit. Ron believes his contract has expired; he would like to review the terms with Jodi and issue a new contract this month. (Action-Ron and Jodi) Melinda notified Jodi of the new terms on independent contracting. Kasey is to send her current contract and any contracts for Tim and John she might have on file to Jodi and Ron. (Action – Kasey)



With business concluded and upon motion duly made by Gary, seconded by Ash and unanimously approved, it was

RESOLVED to adjourn the regular meeting the Timbers Water & Sanitation District Board of Directors at 7:52 pm, this 10th day of April 2017.


Respectfully submitted,

Kasey O’Halloran

Assistant District Manager

Timbers Water and Sanitation District