Members Present:      The following Directors were present and acting:

  • Ron Krall, President
  • Gary Osteen, Vice President
  • Brock Knez
  • Ash Lesniak
  • Dusty Atkinson

Assistant District Manager:

  • Kasey O’Halloran

District Manager:

  • Jodi Lightfoot


  • Mary Andre, CDC Engineering
  • Tammy Young, CDC Engineering
  • Melinda Sherman, Sharp, Steinke, Sherman & Engle


Call to Order:                 The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Timbers Water & Sanitation District was called to order by President Ron Krall on June 12, 2017 at 5:37 pm, noting a quorum was present.


Minutes:                            The Board reviewed the regular meeting minutes of the May, 2017 meeting. Upon motion duly made by Dusty, seconded by Ash and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.


Financials:                       The May 2017 financial statements were reviewed.  Upon motion duly made by Ash, seconded by Dusty and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve the financials.


Invoices:                           Invoices for May 2017 were reviewed.  Upon motion duly made by Ron, seconded by Dusty and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve payment of the open invoices except for the AMW invoice. Jodi will follow up on the invoice and circulate an email for approval when ready. (ACTION-Jodi)


Transfer of funds from TWSD to TWSWA Enterprise:



Old Business:                

Water Tank Project: The temporary tank pad is complete; Ron believes it looks good but there is a stake located in the middle of it. Native Excavating is going to send someone to fix the hydrant this week. All information will be sent to GEI Works so that they can schedule the tank installation.  However, GEI works is still trying to track down the tracking information on the missing tank. Ron said that Native did not put signage or fencing up for protection. Dusty agreed to put stakes and ribbon up (ACTION-Dusty).  Pittsburg tank is scheduled to be to Timbers on July 7th .


Wastewater Treatment Plant:

Grant Status – – Jodi has the forms complete and ready to submit for the $175,000 Design and Engineering grant money. Timbers are waiting on Mary to review the CDC engineering invoices so we can submit reimbursement from the DOLA grant.  Ron is happy with the position we are in respect to engineering because of the grant funds Timbers has received.


CH2MHill Engineering Analysis of Options for Wastewater Treatment Plant – The Board was presented with 13 Treatment System Options. All of the options were analyzed for their location, discharge option, TIN limit, capital cost and annual operation and maintenance costs.  Mary and Tammy from CDC and Pat and Kyle from CH2MHill were conference called in for the meeting. Pat discussed her review of the effluent limits. She proposes that we request a change in the permit level limits based upon the Yampa River and not the McKinnis Creek. She believes that whatever number we propose now will be the number used going forward for all permits. She suggests Timbers goes forward with the request for different TIN levels from CDPHE. Mary said that a cover letter and Pat’s report should be submitted to CDPHE. To request a temperature variance, Timbers will have to submit an additional letter requesting that from CDPHE.  Included with that letter, Timbers would need to get a biological study done to demonstrate there are no fish in the McKinnis creek. If a biological study is done and it states that there are fish in the creek, Timbers will have to outline what they plan to do to make sure the fish are not affected.  CH2MHill summarized that Timbers should appeal the PEL’s that have been given arguing for less stringent TIN, no temperature limit and a relaxation of the anti-degradation limits. The first step would be to do a study on the fish in McKinnis Creek. In the meantime, Pat believes Mary should set a meeting with CDPHE to explain the draft letter/reports to them prior to doing too much work that may be deemed unnecessary by CDPHE.


Kyle gave an overview of the technical alternatives that are outlined in the attached sheet. Costs were high on options 1-5 because of the redundancy they added in (additional tank and equipment). The sixth alternative is the lowest cost because it is a single treatment and smaller building with less to maintain. While the cost is appealing the risk for this alternative is that if repairs have to be done, Timbers would have to haul the waste to another treatment facility.  The O&M costs are for labor, operations, 1% per year maintenance cost based on the capital cost, and power cost. The hauling cost that could occur is not included in the number listed on the sheet but CH2MHill are willing to add a unit cost to give Timbers an idea of that influx.  Alternative 6 would include building a housing unit for the SBR and a buried filtration system. A large concern is that there will not be enough room at the upper site for all the requirements of that alternative. Mary has not run a recent layout at that site yet so she isn’t sure what is possible and variances would be necessary.  Kyle’s opinion on 6e is that it is a solid option but he is not confident in the cost of the chiller system. So, if the state persisted in temperature limits there would need to be time to collect actual wastewater samples to get more accurate information. John Fitzgerald has been asked to start monitoring temperature for potential future needs.


Ron has asked that CDC go forward with the appeal on the TIN limits. Before CDC amends the PNA, Ron and Jodi would like Mary and Tammy to work with CDPHE on the amendment process and what the options are for the Timbers.  Also, Tammy and Mary are to provide a breakdown of the costs between 6e and 7b and follow up on the calls to the DOW in regards to the fish in McKinnis creek. Jodi has asked that a site analysis also be completed for the upper site. (ACTION)


Discharge Permit Modification –Jodi was told she should receive communication on this permit by Thursday.


Mechanisms of Paying for Indebtedness for WWTF – Melinda is seeking the counsel of another lawyer for his opinion on this matter. Melinda has asked Kasey to get a list of outstanding debt and what the debt is used for. (ACTION – Kasey)


USDA Funding Options – Tabled



Zirkel Wireless Contract:

Melinda spoke with Alan to get a feel for what they are paying for other places. They do have an enclosure on the Mt Werner tank. He said the highest they would go is $300 a month rent. They would pay to update the electric line and pay their own electric service. Melinda will adjust the Timbers-  Zirkel contract to be a 5 year contract with continual contract every 5 years with the option to renegotiate the terms every 5 years,  7% annual increase, and $300 a month rent.  The enclosure will be immediately adjacent to the tank. Once contract terms are secure, Jodi will work with Alan to make sure placement doesn’t interfere with any of the Timbers plans.


Past due fees:                 Woolverton, has signed the agreement and sent in $2100. He has until June 30 to pay the remaining amount due.  Melinda will resend a letter to Galvin reminding him of the Lien on his property and his outstanding balance of $3,251. (ACTION – Melinda)


New Business                Ron has asked Jodi to send out a letter to all of the Timber’s residents updating them on the water tank renovations. Jodi has agreed to put the letter together and Kasey will mail it out. (ACTION – Jodi and Kasey)



With business concluded and upon motion duly made by Dusty, seconded by Ash and unanimously approved, it was

RESOLVED to adjourn the regular meeting the Timbers Water & Sanitation District Board of Directors at 8:26 pm, this 12th day of June 2017.


Respectfully submitted,

Kasey O’Halloran

Assistant District Manager

Timbers Water and Sanitation District