Members Present:       The following Directors were present and acting:

  • Ron Krall, President (absent)
  • Gary Osteen, Vice President
  • Brock Knez
  • Ash Lesniak
  • Dusty Atkinson

Assistant District Manager:

  • Kasey O’Halloran

District Manager:

  • Jodi Lightfoot


  • Mary Andre, CDC Engineering
  • Melinda Sherman, Sharp, Steinke, Sherman & Engle
  • Gary Theander, local resident
  • Greg Winkler, DOLA


Call to Order:                 The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Timbers Water & Sanitation District was called to order by President Ron Krall on December 11, 2017 at 5:33 pm, noting a quorum was present.


Minutes:                           The Board reviewed the regular meeting minutes of the November, 2017 meeting. Upon motion duly made by Ash and seconded by Brock and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.


Financials:                      The November 2017 financial statements were reviewed. Upon motion duly made by Ash and seconded by Brock and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve the financials.


Invoices:                           Invoices for November 2017 were reviewed. Upon motion duly made by Ash and seconded by Brock and unanimously, it was

RESOLVED to approve payment of the open invoices.


Transfer of funds from TWSD to TWSWA Enterprise:

None needed.


Old Business:                 2018 Budget and Budget Resolutions – Budget presentation (attached to these minutes) was presented to the Board. Fire Hydrants need to be replaced in 2018 so the cost for those will need to be added to the budget eventually.  In efforts to get the Mill Levy’s submitted on time, the budget was approved and can be amended to include these costs if needed. Gary moved to approve the budget and all resolutions (attached), Dusty seconded and it unanimously passed.


Sanitation System Project Update – Because the meeting was publicly advertised, a signup sheet was passed around.  Mary summarized the process and changes Timbers has gone through over the last year. Specifically, the AdvanTex technology, alternate limits, and the temperature limit waiver.  She passed around Mike Beurskens update (attached) on the sanitation system. Mary explained that needing to hear back from CDPHE on the alternate limit request and temperature waiver really dictates a lot of the funding issues the Board is having. DOLA would like to know when they can expect that answer as it will help determine the grant awards the board will get. If the waivers were to be received, Timbers could save approximately $700,000 on this project. Mary spoke with USDA and they stated that their funding is going forward so Timbers should have the opportunity to pursue USDA funding if needed.   Greg suggested that the Board correspond with CDPHE asking for an answer to the alternate PEL (ACTION).  Gary has asked that Ron and Jodi work up a letter from the Board to give to CDPHE immediately.  Greg stated that the regulatory agents in this situation should be giving guidance and limits to our District. The next steps are planning submittals which need to be submitted by February 15th and the SRF Loan application.  Randi Johnson-Huford suggested that because CDPHE is slowing all of the processes down, it may be possible to get our Disadvantaged Community status extended. USDA would be our ‘gap filler’ for the remaining necessary funding needed.  Gary Theander is wondering how the sanitation project will affect the sanitation fees that community members will have to pay when this is all said and done. The Board has not projected that far nor did they have an answer for that. It was explained that that is why it is so important to pursue all of the Grant options from DOLA and USDA as possible.


Property Acquisition – Krall and Galvin: Galvin has requested 2018 fees be waived from his account. The Board agreed that that was acceptable. Melinda will update the letter and send it out for signatures before Christmas. The District will remove the notice of the Lien, his fees due from the past and for the 2018 fees and the District will gain an easement to his property.  In regards to Krall’s property, the board would like to offer the Krall’s double the assessor’s value of their property. Melinda suggested offering $17,000.   Gary would like to just ask Ron what amount he would like for his property. Jodi will call Ron to get this number and move forward. Jodi will seek approval from the board via email. (ACTION)


New Business:               DOLA-Greg Winkler Update – A grant for the Wastewater Treatment Plant was submitted for one million dollars. Greg stated that it is a competitive grant cycle and we may not get all we have asked for. Greg is well aware of the Timbers project and knows this is the next step for the Board and DOLA’s relationship. He will be writing a pro-con report on Timbers grant application. Our application will go to hearing in mid-March in Lakewood. That will help the State determine if Timbers will get any of the $19 million dollars they have allocated to distribute.  Greg gave a full breakdown of what to expect and how to approach our hearing meeting in March. Mary suggested that the Board send correspondence to thank Greg Winkler for coming to the meeting and spending time with the Board. (ACTION)


District Manager Update: The ponds had to jetted again. A beaver was stuck in the equipment. Aerator #3 is stuck in the ice again. A strong odor was coming from a manhole which John is investigating.  Ash moved the tank to Catamount. The District needs to send an invoice to Catamount for $13,000.  (ACTION)


Audit Exemption: It was approved by the board and the letter was signed.


With business concluded and upon motion duly and unanimously approved, it was

RESOLVED to adjourn the regular meeting the Timbers Water & Sanitation District Board of Directors at 8:05 pm, this 11th day of December 2017.


Respectfully submitted,

Kasey O’Halloran

Assistant District Manager

Timbers Water and Sanitation District