Members Present:       The following Directors were present and acting:

  • Ron Krall, President
  • Gary Osteen, Vice President – Absent due to work
  • Brock Knez
  • Ash Lesniak
  • Dusty Atkinson


  • Mary Andre – CDC

District Manager:

  • Jodi Lightfoot

Call to Order:                     The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Timbers Water & Sanitation District was called to order by President Ron Krall on September 12, 2016 at 5:46pm, noting a quorum was present.

Minutes:                                The Board reviewed the Regular Meeting minutes of the August, 2016 meeting. Upon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously approved, it was

RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.

Financials:                           The August 2016 Financial Statements were reviewed. Upon motion duly made, seconded and unanimous, it was

RESOLVED to approve the financials.

Invoices:                               Invoices for August 2016 were reviewed. Upon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously approved, it was

RESOLVED to approve payment of the open invoices.

No transfer of funds:  No transfers of funds are required.

Old Business:                       

Water Tank Project:         Jodi provided an update on the water tank project. Marla from GSI Works, the supplier of the temporary tank, mentioned concerns regarding the tank pad design. Marla was worried the gravel pad might shift or move. If this happens, she said, the tank will surley fail. She also said that if the engineers see any movement in the pad they would stop erection of the tank until the issue is resolved. She said any extra costs incurred would be at the Timber’s expense. Ron asked how this issue with the tank pad arose. Mary said GEI wouldn’t give them tank design until the tank was purchased.

Mary Andre from CDC explained that Randy had forwarded CDC’s design to GEI Works and because GEI didn’t flag any concerns CDC felt the design was approved. Mary said she met with a structural engineer who suggested building in a ring wall concrete foundation for the tank. Mary explained that this would consist of a concrete curb wall that goes around the parameter of the tank. An l-bracket could then be used to attach the tank to the foundation. Mary said that Randy Hurley didn’t know there would not be a steel bottom to the tank. Mary said that without a steel bottom, the tank will buckle if there is any movement. Ash asked if a steel bottom could be made for the tank. Mary said that was one of her ideas, but the structural engineer felt there were better solutions. Mary mentioned two alternate options:

Anchor the tank using concrete deadman anchors or

Construct a steel circle for the bottom of the tank.

Ash asked Mary what she estimated it would cost to build the concrete ring. Mary responded, saying the project would take up to 8 cubic yards of concrete and concrete costs approximately $1000/ yard and would require a couple weeks for the concrete to cure. Ron said building a concrete ring foundation will push the project back to next spring and suggested TWSD pause the project and review the pad options of building a permanent pad or a temporary pad to be removed when the project is completed. Ash asked if there is any issue with the current work sitting all winter. Mary said no, other than the winter plowing. Jodi mentioned that there are 2-3 valves under the gravel now. Jodi will discuss the plowing concerns with Joe from D&D Plowing.

Pittsburgh tank invoice:

Pittsburgh Tank sent an invoice for 35% of the project. Mary suggested TWSD require some transfer of ownership before paying the invoice.

Sanitation Wastewater Treatment Plant:

Mary said utility locates are required before the survey could be completed. This would include locating phone lines, electric lines, and fiber optics. She said the quote for locates was about $300. Bear Ackerman will be conducting an additional site visit to include the locates, marking larger trees, and showing options for routing the sewer line to the new site.

Mary presented a drawing showing the design layout of the wastewater treatment plant and explained the possible issues routing the collection line to the new wastewater plant. If TWSD can’t get an easement for a direct route to the plant, the collection line will have to be re-routed from a higher point to meet the slope require for gravity feed. Mary also showed the location options of the wastewater treatment plant depending on the setback variance.

Division of land for public purposes:

TWSD can try to acquire the land for the wastewater treatment plant through cooperation of the landowners. Division of land for public purposes allows land owners the same rights they had as a 35 acres owner if the land reduction reduces their total acreage below the minimum 35 acres. Ron asked Jodi to schedule a meeting with Melinda Sherman to discuss the process required to acquire land for the wastewater treatment plant.

Mary said TWSD will be required to hold a public meeting to be sure the owners in the district are in agreement with the wastewater treatment move. Ron suggested holding an informational meeting for the owners. Ron said some of the owners might want to get legal counsel to be sure there is no harm that could be caused to their property value.

PNA:                                          Ron instructed Mary to move ahead with the PNA using the planned design.

Energy/Mineral Impact Grant:

Mary asked about the income survey to include in the grant application. Jodi said she is not sure she will be able to get enough participants to meet the required participation. Ron instructed Mary to move ahead with the grant application. Ron said the money in the budget for engineering fees has been spent for 2016. He asked Mary if she knew of any other options for more funding. Mary mentioned the CDPHE grant but said it would require the income survey. There is the Energy/Mineral impact grand and the USDA rural water grant.

Ron asked Mary to talk to Greg Winkler to inquire about the small community design grant. Mary said she had talked to Greg and he suggested applying for the entire project rather than applying for the design grant first. Mary said she thinks the grant will be delayed a year.

Income survey:                   Jodi gave an update on the income survey. Jodi said she was having difficulty getting responses from the residents. Jodi explained some of the residents have moved and some of the units have sold since the original count of residents. She said Dusty Atkinson had been a great help collecting surveys from the condos. Dusty said he would try to get more of the condo residents to complete the forms. Ash asked if Jodi could go back to the state to change the total surveys required since the total residents have changed. Jodi said she can make that change and will talk to the State regarding the requirements.

Discharge Permit:             Jodi said she had talked to Randy Ogg from the State requesting an update on the discharge permit application. Randy said he has not seen anything yet and to expect the process to take a couple months.

2017 Budget:                       Ron said he had reviewed the budget and financials. He proposed the budget remain identical to the 2016 budget with the exception of the special projects.

He said the Sanitation system is a black box right now. Ash asked about the engineering fees suggesting a review of the actual costs from 2016.

New Business:

Road maintenance to the Wastewater Treatment Plant:

Jodi mentioned the poor road conditions at the wastewater treatment plant. Ron asked Jodi to get a quote to repair the road and potentially add a berm to the pond where it overtops each spring.

Homeowner’s Meeting:                 Ash asked Jodi to provide a year overview for the homeowner’s meeting. Ron suggested Ash use the homeowner’s update letter with a few revisions.

With business concluded and upon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously approved, it was

RESOLVED to adjourn the Regular Meeting the Timbers Water & Sanitation District and Board of Directors at 8:00p.m., this 12th day of September 2016.

Respectfully submitted,

Jodi Lightfoot

District Manager

Timbers Water and Sanitation District