Members Present: The following Directors were present and acting:
- Ron Krall, President
- Gary Osteen
- Brock Knez
- Jodi Lightfoot (absent)
- Dusty Atkinson
- Kasey O’Halloran
- Melinda Sherman, Sharpe, Steinke, Sherman
- Mary Andre, CDC Engineering
Call to Order: The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Timbers Water & Sanitation District was called to order by President Ron Krall on September 10, 2018 at 5:52 pm, noting a quorum was present.
Minutes: The Board reviewed the regular meeting minutes from August. Upon motion duly made by Ron and seconded by Dusty, it was
RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.
Financials: The Board reviewed the financial statements for August 2018. Upon motion duly made by Ron and seconded by Gary, it was
RESOLVED to approve the meeting minutes.
Invoices: Invoices for August 2018 were reviewed. Upon motion duly made by Ron and seconded by Brock and unanimously, it was
RESOLVED to approve payment of the open invoices.
Transfer of funds from TWSD to TWSWA Enterprise:
Kasey requested a $8000 transfer to cover the invoices due. Ron moved to approve the transfer and Brock seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously.
District Manager Update:
Kasey updated the board on the compliance advisory letter received and John’s comments on the reasoning behind the violations. John has stated that everything seems to be running smoothly.
Old Business: Election – Ron has agreed to submit a pro statement to Kasey prior to the September 21st deadline.
Zirkel Wireless Contract – Ron summarized that Zirkel Wireless has asked the Board for an amendment for the existing lease. This would allow for them to build a new pad and electricity source for their tower. Zirkel proposed a contract in the length of 2 five year terms that are automatically renewable. The contract can be cancelled or changed but it must be with a one year notification from the Timbers. The rent would be $300 a month with a 7% increase each year. They will also reimburse for the electricity that is used by their equipment until they are able to install their own source. Melinda suggests changing the terms from two, five year terms to five, two year terms. Melinda would like CDC to approve all terms, add in a time limit on when a separate electric meter must be installed and until then, Zirkel can pay the entire TWSD electric bill. Mary has asked that Zirkel change their location as it will block access to the tank. Mary requests that it not be along the access road around the tank. Ron suggested that Alan meet with Mary to pick out a more appropriate location. Once a new location is found, the Board would like to approve it. Another contract issue is the anchoring or weight of the antennae equipment. Mary and Melinda will follow up on these issues and getting the contract clarified for the Board’s approval next month. Ron, also stated it needs to be in the contract that all engineering and legal review will need to be paid for by Zirkel for this transaction.
Plow WW Road and remove Gravel – Kasey stated that the gravel has been removed from the temporary pad site. Ron said D&D did a great job. D&D is expecting to grade the WWTP road this coming week.
Sewer Project Update – Preconstruction Meeting Update –Tammy and Tim were at the preconstruction meeting for this project today. John Fitzgerald will monitor the day to day proceedings for the District. The meeting went well. The insurance and bonding from Duckels needs the District to be named and/or it’s employees and the District would like the notice of cancellation 15 days prior to cancellation of any insurance policy. Melinda will ask an attorney to certify that Duckels has the insurance they are required under the contract.
Mary suggested doing some outreach in the community in regards to the impending project. Mary stated that DOLA requires a sign notifying that this project is happening and is funded by DOLA. Kasey will get this created. After the preconstruction meeting the team went up looking for a manhole and a resident was very disturbed by the people and work being done. Mary asked that someone on the Board reach out to Martin Dennis to explain. The team did find an additional manhole with the help of Mr. Dennis. He stated that he has two sewer services in his home. He also stated that he is going to replace or pave his driveway this fall so it would be best to do this work prior to him paving his driveway. Ron would like to have John Fitzgerald post a doorhanger that is a notice to the homeowners of the upcoming work. Ron would be happy to review what John puts together. Mary would like the community to be updated that: There will be sometime of single direction of traffic, during the night trenches will be covered with plates and cones, staging will be on upper Gooseberry Lane, beyond the dumpster, Duckels will fence around the site and move the porta-potty along the way where they are working.
Judy Ryan reached out to Ron; Ron told her that she would not be included in the preconstruction meeting because there was too much to be worked out not related to staging. She would be informed of the staging details after the meeting. Issues on Judy’s list were raised at the meeting and addressed. Ron will email Judy all the details that the meeting settled on.
John will handle the Davis Bacon wages with CDC’s guidance. Mary and Ron both think this will go well. Construction schedule is tentatively to start October 4th-October 31st. Diane Dwuire at Duckels made a few modifications on the contract and Ron initialed those changes. The agreement needs to be signed and the Notice to proceed but those can’t be done until the insurance letter is received. Ron will move this forward as soon as we are legally able to do so. Mary stated that Duckels has not responded yet with replacement vs rehabilitation for the manholes not addressed in the original contract.
DOLA Grant Amendment – The Board is still waiting on the execution of this amendment. Kasey will follow up with DOLA to see what the status is.
Pond Site Change Status- The Board reviewed the preliminary site layouts from Tammy. There is a sliver of land that is considered private; the WWTP would not have access to this parcel. It is owned by the Johannesens. If that land was owned by the District, it would be beneficial for the design process. Due to the short timeline on this project, it doesn’t seem possible to receive an easement in time for the design and layout to benefit from that space. Ron wonders if it is possible to acquire that land. Mary said it would be great if we could but must happen quickly. Ron has agreed to contact Mr. Johannesen to see if he would be at all open to adjusting their easement line. Mary did receive a new proposal from Willy on contours in the pond and there should be two more proposals to come in.
Project Timeline – Mary passed out a timeline for the project going forward. September will be very busy for CDC getting a variety of items out for the pond site change. So if the easement from the Johannesen’s is too lengthy, it will delay the process. The Public Meeting will be done in November to review all the reports CDC will receive in September. If the project timeline is followed and met, the WWTP bid could be opened in February and award could be given in April 2019.
New Business: 2019 Budget – Ron has asked the Board to have a short discussion about the Board’s philosophy on the budget process. Ron reminded the board when and how it has been done in the past. Ron shared that his thought is to keep the budget very much the same on the water side as it has been in 2018. This would cover our operating costs and collect sufficient funds to build the reserve. When we discuss the water budget in October, it can be discussed about when or if water meters want to be approached in 2019. On the sanitation side, we will continue to have to operate our existing sanitation through most of 2019. Hopefully in October 2019 the new treatment plant will come online, until it does, we will have to operate the current plant. Ron believes the best approach to that is look at the repairs we have had to do this year and expect that will continue again for one more year. Ron believes in October it should be discussed and decided upon is whether sufficient fees should be collected for additional engineering costs. Dusty was wondering if Ron had an idea if the engineering fees are under control now and Ron isn’t sure but believes we are covered by grant money for those fees for a good amount of time.
With business concluded and upon motion duly and unanimously approved, it was
RESOLVED to adjourn the regular meeting the Timbers Water & Sanitation District Board of Directors at 7:22 pm, this 10th day of September 2018.
Timbers Water and Sanitation District